Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gastrointestinal stasis: What's and why it's so dangerous for some rabbits
02-16-2015, 12:40 AM
Big Grin Gastrointestinal stasis: What's and why it's so dangerous for some rabbits
Gastrointestinal stasis (or G.I. stasis) can be a significant and potentially fatal condition that occurs in some rabbits where gut motility is greatly reduced and possibly completely stopped. Treatment must be sought immediately from the doctor focusing on exotic animals and with major rabbit experience. When untreated or improperly treated, G.I. stasis could be dangerous in less than 24-hours.

G.I. stasis is the situation of food not moving through the belly as easily as normal. The gut contents may dehydrate and small right into a difficult, immobile bulk (influenced gut), preventing the digestive tract of the rabbit. Food in a motionless stomach could also ferment, creating resultant gas pain and important gas accumulation for the rabbit.

The first noticeable symptom of G.I. stasis may be that the rabbit suddenly stops eating. This disturbing wet wabbit vibrator essay has collected elegant suggestions for the purpose of it. Treatment usually includes subcutaneous fluid therapy (re-hydration through injection of saline solution underneath the skin), drugs for treatment of the buildup of gas within the digestive tract, massage to promote gas expulsion and comfort, possible drugs to promote gut motility, and careful monitoring of all inputs and outputs. The rabbit's diet are often changed as part of therapy. Be taught further on our affiliated link by visiting wet wabbit.

Some rabbits tend to be more susceptible to G.I. stasis than others. The causes of G.I. Learn supplementary information on our favorite related article by going to best waterproof vibrator on-line. stasis aren't com-pletely understood, but common contributing factors are considered to include:

* deficiencies in fibre in the diet. Many dog rabbits do not get adequate fresh lawn hay but are rather mistakenly given just professional alfalfa pellets originally developed for rapidly growing mass in rabbits bred for beef.

* insufficient moisture inside the diet. New, leafy greens are a critical part of the rabbit's diet in part because of their moisture content, which helps stop the gut contents from becoming disturbed.

* not enough exercise. Rabbits confined to a cage usually do not have the opportunity (or motivation) to perform, leap, and play that is essential in maintaining gut motility.

In-addition, G.I. stasis could be brought on by the rabbit refusing to eat for other reasons, such as stress, dental problems, or other unrelated health problems.

G.I. stasis may also be misdiagnosed as cat-like 'hair balls' by vets unfamiliar with rabbit structure..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply